84 Modern Awards were updated to include a casual conversion clause on 1 October 2018.
The new clause affects the rights and obligations of employers who engage people to work on a regular and systematic basis, as casual employees.
What does it mean?
The clause allows a regular casual employee to request for their employment to be converted to full-time or part-time employment.
What do I need to do as the employer?
- Regular casual employees employed as at 1 October 2018 must be provided with a copy of the new clause by 1 January 2019.
- For persons who start after 1 October 2018, they must be provided with a copy of the clause within 12 months of commencing.
A few important points:
- A casual employee must request the casual conversion in writing.
- Employers must respond to the request within 21 days. This response must also be in writing.
- Employers can refuse the request provided they have reasonable grounds for doing so.